Monday, January 9, 2012

Life goes on...and what a joy it is!

A few glances down this post, and you'll see why I have not posted recently! We were away for part of the Christmas holiday. My husband was off grad school and we were soaking up all the wonderful extra time with him. I am so blessed by my amazing husband!


A few days before Christmas, during a play date, our middle daughter fell into the coffee table, and ended up with stitches at the ER. You can see her stitches front and center on Christmas day. How I made it almost 6 years of children before this happened is a mystery to me...although I hear from friends that its because I have girls:)



We just received the surprising news that after 3 beautiful and amazing daughters, we have a son on the way! Of course, we would have greatly welcomed the gift of another daughter. This is, though, a neat and exciting "first" for us, after 8 years of marriage. He is due in May! Of course, we are busy preparing for our family to grow as the Lord expands our hearts! There are clothes to sort through, bedrooms to rearrange, and of course, since I'm totally nesting, A LOT of painting to be done!






The Lord has given me wonderful grace and appreciation for each of my children lately- so much so that I've fallen in love all over again with each one. Such delicate little souls in my care. Together, we have been enjoying discovering the great code that is the written word. My girls love to be read to, and the oldest has taken to attempting to decipher random words that she sees when we are out and about. She calls it her "Secret code" and says she is discovering the "key!" Yes, this analogy is of her own creation.



Another recent development is that the Lord has called me to take a big first step in a direction I thought impossible at this stage of my life: I am beginning birth doula training and studies. I have no expectations of being able to attend more than maybe a birth every other month or so, but after much discernment, and sure signs and doors opening I am confident the Lord is directing my steps. Its all for His glory, after all...not for mine. I cannot begin to describe the ways in which He's opening doors. Perhaps He won't use these skills for decades to come, until long after my kids are grown and gone...but it is evident to me that He intends this as part of my personal formation...for some reason...only He knows. I humbly step into this unknown.

So, I am preparing for my one evening a week workshop that begins soon, by writing, reading, and studying. The great thing is that this study has given me something personal to strive for and work on after the kids go to bed the several nights a week my husband is gone (as opposed to zoning out in front of purposeless TV or movies). I am enjoying reading by flashlight as I sit near my 1 year old (who falls asleep nearby), and doing my other research and responsibilities after the kids are asleep. This also encourages me to have my household duties accomplished by then...either that, or I study in between loads of laundry.


In addition to this, I've been asked to provide Natural Family Planning information and support to the women that my midwives serve in their practice. I've had to brush up on my NFP studies and have been gathering brochures and books that will be helpful in this ministry. I'll be hosting an informational session soon for these mothers. I cannot help but put in a plug here for how blessed I am by the amazing women I have met through my midwife's practice (including my midwife)...these women have taught me much about life, birth, mothering, and most importantly, faith and trust in God.

Wow, typing this out makes it really seem like a lot. Come to think of it, though, as I've been seeking growth in these areas the rest of my life has become more organized. Its a funny phenomenon...seems counter-intuitive. You'd think that more "stuff" means more stress and chaos. On the contrary, when I become more busy doing God's will (as opposed to becoming more busy for my own self-seeking purposes, outside of His will), He provides the grace for better use of time and better balance in all areas of life. I am, after all, first and foremost a Daughter of the Lord, wife and mother comes second to that, and anything else is extra. But, the Lord can and does call us to do things that we didn't imagine possible. I certainly wasn't seeking extra apostolate, or "work" outside the home...He's just evidently led me to this ministry, and at any point in time He may shut some of those doors again and say "not right now," and I'm okay with that. I sincerely want only to do His will.

Thank you for reading. Pray for me to do God's will always!

1 comment: