Tuesday, December 20, 2011

To fill the void....Books I'm reading.

I have several posts brewing, but cannot post them until after the weekend;)

In the meantime, I thought I'd share what I'm reading right now:
1) The Life of Mary, as Seen by the Mystics- this is an excellent look into what very well could have been the life of Mary. It is "allowed" by the Catholic Church to believe it, since none of it contradicts what we know to be truth, but it is not required doctrine. Personally, I'm enjoying using it as a springboard for my meditation this last week of Advent, especially the chapters about the Annunciation, Visitation, the Life of Mary and Joseph in Nazareth, the journey to Bethlehem, the Nativity, the adoration of the Magi, etc., etc. Very enlightening, and the verbage and imagery is deepening my relationship with the Blessed Mother.

2) Ina May's Guide to Childbirth- this is an excellent read for any childbearing woman! I very very highly recommend it if you haven't read it. Just sort of look past the author's personal lifestyle (which is somewhat hippie) and see the good and beauty that this very established, respected, and experienced midwife has to pass on to use readers! Her birth statistics are better than any Dr. I could write so much more here, but I'll be brief. She describes the direct relation between fear and pain or stalled labor, and how a laboring woman needs to be free of fear! She presents the truth about what happens in hospitals in an informative way, to allow the reader to come to their own conclusions- and even lays out what one should look for in an OB, should that be what one chooses, or a midwife. The facts she elaborates on are revealing. More people should read this book, and let the facts speak for themselves. This book has been nothing but a confirmation to me of how Satan is out to attack a woman's body in so many ways: 1st through the horrors of contraception, then through the unnecessary interventions that befall so many unknowing women, endangering their lives, the lives of their baby, and putting at risk their future ability to bare children.

3) Hypnobirthing, the Mongan Method- just refreshing my mind and beginning to practice my techniques for my own upcoming birth!

4) Natural Family Planning- the Complete Approach- by John and Sheila Kipley. I am reviewing and re-educating myself as to this beautiful method so that I can provide information and support to a group of women to whom I've been asked to do so. I am also refreshing my memory as to the Billings Method (I have learned and practiced both in my day).

That's about it...for now! I have a stack of doula books awaiting my perusal (yes, I am learning about birth- for fun...its a personal passion. Who knows, maybe the Lord will use it someday, maybe He won't...for now, I'm storing up experiences and learning opportunities. Gotta keep my mind sharp somehow!).

I should mention that pretty much ALL of my reading happens with a flashlight in hand as I sit near my 19 month old and await sleep to overcome her.

Will post a special post Christmas night!:)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comment love, Jess! Sorry I don't have time to get on my blog often anymore, but when I do I ove hopping over here and seeing how yor little world is :) i'd love to hear more about your expierence with hypnobirthing. My brother Daniel and his wife had a little boy this morning (almost in the car!)- Anthony David. Praise God it was quick and realitively easy. I'm so jealous! Just kidding! ;) When are you due? Please give Matt and the girls our love. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete