Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Give kids A LOT of free time to foster creativity

I think this mom hacked into my brain and discovered all my thoughts about children and school. I couldn't have said this better myself.

My "role" in all of this is to set up an environment that fosters and encourages creativity. A whole library of books, plenty of arts and craft supplies, wooden toys (that don't make noise and don't have batteries- these stifle creativity!), outside time, and room to breath!

I appreciate when she says that yes, children should learn to listen, complete a task, and focus on work...but our society's schooling mentality has come to believe that this is accomplished by forcing them into an over-scheduled and very tight box of living. Oddly enough, when left the room to create and truly LIVE, and when in a loving home environment that values virtue, children do learn these things.

But what do I know...my kids are 5 and under. This woman, however...she has 4 grown kids...she speaks from experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment