Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I hear you call my name....

How long have you waited for me, Lord? How many times have I turned a blind eye to your Holy presence as I drive past your chapel, knowing you are there, and not really having a good reason not to stop in. Oh, the excuses I come up with. But you are there...waiting for me...hoping that I will turn the wheel and visit with you, if but for a moment.

Today as we were driving on the other side of town, I passed by a Church that I know to have perpetual Adoration. I made a mental note to stop by for a visit on our way home, as we would be returning by the same route. How many times have I made such mental notes? Many. How many times have I followed through? I'm too embarrassed to say. But today, Lord. Today was different. We left our activity on time (on time to avoid an impending rain shower). On the way home, there it was...the turning lane into the Church, and there was no oncoming traffic that I would have to wait for. The kids were happy in the back. It was not raining yet. I had no excuses, and before I could give myself time to create one, I turned into the parking lot. I had no idea where the Adoration chapel was, but you guided me to you. I felt you calling me. I gave up looking for it and just choose a parking spot by a far building. Only after I parked and got all 3 kids out of the car did I see you had brought me right to your chapel. We made a visit with you. Oh, the highlight of my day! You have so much you want to give me. So many graces await. Yet you wait for me to respond to your call before you can shower them upon me. That one little stop today changed me. No excuses will ever suffice.



I have heard you calling my name for a while now. Calling me to bring all of myself to you in the Blessed Sacrament. Calling me to spend only ONE short hour a week with the King of the Universe. But have I come? No. I hear my excuses echoing now. They pain me almost as much as they pain you to hear, Lord. "I need my sleep." "We need our family time." "I have young children, I can't get time away" (but have I tried?). "I have too much to do at home." "I love to stop in, but to commit to one hour every week is just too much."

TOO MUCH? Too much for you who have given EVERYTHING for ME?

Lord how I need your grace. Sustain me, Lord. Don't stop calling me. I have now signed up for my hour. I did not choose the hour. You choose it for me. It happened this way, and I accept it because I know you prescribed it. You know what I need better than I do. 5:00am on Friday mornings, Lord. In the quiet wee hours of the morning, I'll see you there, kids tucked in at home with their father, I will curl up in the lap of my Father. I cannot wait. I know it will get tough. I know I will be tempted to hit the snooze button. I know I will be tempted to get someone else to take my place. But you have chosen ME for that hour, Lord. I can only fulfill my call with your help.

Jesus, My Lord, My God, My All, sustain me with your Holy Eucharist.

No comments:

Post a Comment