Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Hidden Power of Kindness

Do you believe in it? I do...mostly because I believe in the ultimate, fulfilling, complete and unconditional love of God. But also because I have seen its power firsthand. God, in His infinite mercy and love, takes our humble efforts of self-sacrificial love and turns it into glory. The greatest charity is performed not to those who are "easy" to love, but to those that are hardest, or even those that are strangers ("When you saw me hungry and fed me, when you saw me naked and clothed me..."Matthew 25:34-40), and then there is "no greater love than to lay down your life for a friend" (John 15:13). Who is your friend? The Samaritan, the stranger (Luke 10:25).

I know a woman who has struggled for years with road rage. I don't blame her! There is hardly much worse than to be dangerously cut off by some speedster on the road. But as she grew in the experience of Christ's love for her, she decided that instead of giving in to her angry passion by cursing, flicking the person off, or yelling at him (none of which are productive), she turned her energies to the positive. When she would be cut off she would give the person every benefit of the doubt. She would say to herself, "Oh my goodness, that man is in a hurry, his wife is probably dying in the hospital and he's rushing to be by her side! Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord is with thee..." and she would pray for him. She forgot herself and turned it into use for the Good of the person who offended her! If you believe in the Love of God, then you know that no good act goes unfruitful. When she did that, something good happened somewhere as a result. I believe it. Maybe, just maybe, that prayer helped that man in some small way. Maybe it saved his life. Maybe it went to use to help that man convert back to the faith. She didn't know and it didn't matter- what mattered is she made an act of love, something that cost her (for it was not easy, she was angry!), for someone she did not know.

This past weekend I was faced with the opportunity to lay aside my own interests for the better of a stranger. I had just received some news that made my blood boil and my stress level rise. The specifics are not important. I turned my attention to praying for my intention, something that is not by any means bad to do, but I was immersed in my own problems and self-pity. On the way to a family event, I asked my husband if we could stop by the Adoration chapel at church. I needed some time in front of Christ to get my thoughts centered. I brought with me a novena that I was going to say for the intention of that thing that was causing me so much worry.

In the chapel, I laid all my fears and concerns at the foot of the cross, and begged the Lord to help me. While I was praying, a woman who had been praying in the chapel quietly walked to the front, knelt down, and embraced the tabernacle. She tried to hide it, but she was crying, and shaking. Then she got up, turned, and quietly walked out of the chapel. My heart was moved for her, so I got up and followed her out. She was standing outside the chapel at a crucifix, touching it and crying. I approached her and whispered, "I am praying for you. Don't worry. I am praying for you." She began to cry even harder. In addition to her emotional suffering, it became obvious she was in immense physical pain.

It turns out she had been suffering a severe illness for some time, she was in deadly pain, it hurt her eyes to see, her head to move. But that wasn't all. In spite of her suffering, her husband was leaving her and she feared that her children would be taken away from her because she is in so much pain it is hard to care for them. What could I say? I offered her my prayers. She looked me in the eyes, and it was then that I saw Christ: "I was sick and you visited me." My heart was moved.

I returned to the chapel, knelt down, and said a quick prayer for her. A heartfelt prayer, but a quick prayer (see how slow I get the point). Then I picked up my novena to say for my own seemingly horrible intentions. But when I got to the part of the novena that asked me to state my intention, I suddenly felt that my problems were nothing compared to this woman, and that while I felt that my issue was very important and needed prayers, I decided to offer the novena for this stranger instead of for my own personal situation. Specifically, I am praying for her physical and emotional healing.

It was my impression that this woman's resources were tapped. She had no where to turn, and was begging Christ for help. Well, my small and humble efforts to offer my novena for her may just help her a bit...and I hope that it means even more because I "died to myself" (I forgot my own passions and desires) for the sake of helping this soul. And maybe, just maybe, Christ's answer to my prayer for help was to turn my attention away from myself and towards another who needed Christ more.

Now I don't know what will come of her, or if she'll be healed or not. But every day I strive to give my whole heart into the novena for her. She is counting on my prayers, and needs them desperately. And let me tell you its not easy. I am still tempted to offer an extra novena for my personal intention, but then I'm reminded that if I give myself totally for the good of another, if I die to myself, then the Lord will take care of me.

Its a big journey in growth for me. But one I know I must make. And I know that what enabled me to do this is that I believe in the hidden power of kindness. We can transform the world one little act of kindness at a time!

These thoughts lead my heart to resolve to see Christ in each person I encounter today and to search for one hidden act of kindness for each. Oh, that's a lofty resolution- but I feel up to the challenge today. I'll let you know how it turns out.

For your leisure, I recommend the book "The Hidden Power of Kindness."

No comments:

Post a Comment