Saturday, August 6, 2011

More ready than I thought....

I showed her how to thread the machine, and how to stitch in a straight line. She practiced on some scraps. I walked away from the machine, and her confidence grew even more. I popped in when she needed me, and helped when I was asked (not very often). I love witnessing my children learning! They delight in it! They devour it! All I had to do was believe in her (instead of saying, "no, you can't...you're not old enough"). All that said, I must point out that I did consider her emotional maturity (and ability to follow rules for the proper use of materials and machines). Upon seeing how she took to the practice cloths so naturally and carefully, attentive to all the safety guidelines I had laid out, I could see she was ready for a project. Hence, I proceeded to give her permission for such. She can't wait to make another...and wants to work on a project with me. If that's not motivation for me to keep up with this sewing thing, I don't know what is!




All by herself, with my only guidance being to sew inside out, leaving an opening for stuffing, and giving her the materials, she made this adorable pillow. She even finished it off herself with a steady hand-stitch.



Then, my little successful seamstress, whose love language I am convinced is "gift-giving," so proud of her creation, immediately thought of someone special to give it to: our 13 year old cousin who is staying with us from out of state. Her little heart filled to the brim with generosity, knowing she worked so hard to create something, immediately thought not of herself, but of someone else she thought would enjoy it more than she would (and she would have enjoyed it for herself). I am so proud of it. I don't want to squash any of her naturally generous tendencies. However, I just might suggest she make a few more pillows because they are just too cute to resist! And so is she.

3 comments:

  1. Isabella,
    I love your pillow!
    Thanks for sharing with the world.
    Love,
    Aunt Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing little seamstress we have in the family. Love you Bella!
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how she's so proud of all her hard work! I can definitely see her accomplishing cool stuff with that sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete