Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Encouraging words...

So many thoughts, no time to write. But here is my latest inspiration, source of calm, and refreshing tidbits to refocus. In other words, here's what I've been pondering:


From last Sunday's Gospel: Matthew 11:29-30

“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.



This quote from The Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI:
(a dear friend shared this quote with me when our 2nd daughter was going through her surgeries):
"Even suffering is part of the truth of our life. Thus, trying to shield the youngest from every difficulty and experience of suffering, we risk creating, despite our good intentions, fragile persons of little generosity: The capacity to love, in fact, corresponds to the capacity to suffer, and to suffer together."


This, from John Holt, "How Children Learn:"

The point is that if it takes a long time to develop a good habit, it will take just as long to develop a bad one. The idea that we must work hundreds of hours to make a good habit, but can make a bad one in a few seconds, is nonsense. And the point of this to us as teachers is that we don't always have to be in such a big hurry to correct children's mistakes. We can afford to give them time to notice and correct them themselves. And the more they do this, the better they will become at doing it, and the less they will need and depend on us to do it for them.

(This last quote hits me like a big whammy...as I had a very bad mommy moment yesterday...I plan to write more about this later, but for now, let's just say I over-corrected, and as a result, now she won't even try).

No comments:

Post a Comment