Friday, February 3, 2012

Birth: The Lord's Great Work Accomplished through a Woman

Yesterday I was blessed to observe my first birth since beginning my birth doula training. This makes 3 births (not my own) that I have observed in my adult life.

Over the course of several hours, I witnessed the woman go from gently rocking, to full out labor in the birth tub, with her loving husband right beside her every step of the way. He didn't stop once to take a drink of water for himself- he was focused intently on his wife's great task set before her. I was reminded of my own husband's dedication to me during my own labors.

I felt the contractions right along with her, and found myself breathing through them from my perch on the side of the room (I was shadowing a more experienced doula at this birth). I felt her pain and frustration when transition came, and things got really tough. I remember clearly what that phase is like in my own labors. It was then she asked her husband to pray over her, and he prayed a beautiful spontaneous prayer. All of us bowed our heads and prayed, too. Soon enough, with much sweat and tears, she soon welcomed her baby into her arms, and you could feel the immense joy that filled the room.

It is truly amazing to see a woman literally feel like she hit a brick wall, and then scale it.

Thank you, Lord, for your beautiful design of birth!

No comments:

Post a Comment