Thursday, April 28, 2011

This week's life lesson: Surrender

With a child about to enter an open surgery, I have felt the rug has been pulled out from under me. For weeks, I have felt quite at peace with this apparent cross, until this week that is....that's when it hit. The Lord has allowed me to feel helpless, to feel fear, to lose control. And yet, I know He is near because just when all seems lost...when I feel totally overcome by my fears, alone...helpless...and I'm at that moment when I choose to surrender, and I tell Him to do with me as He wills: then, He reaches out and touches me.

How was I touched by the hand of Christ today? Because right in that moment of helplessness when I agreed to surrender to His will completely, I received an email. An amazing group of women informed me that they arranged an hour by hour prayer vigil for our family all day tomorrow. Every single hour of the day someone will be praying or sacrificing some part of that hour for our family! Not only that, but there will be Masses, Holy Hours, and personal sacrifices offered throughout the weekend. And there's more- they are bringing me meals, some from an hour away, every single day next week!

What did I ever do to deserve such supernaturally generous friends? I am touched most of all by how the Lord uses the individual members of His universal Church to be His arms to comfort and His words to encourage and guide another. And oh how grateful I am for these friends that I really don't deserve.

And so, today's lesson: only when we surrender can the Lord reveal Himself and send His graces.

2 comments:

  1. ps- By the way, Darling daughter has her surgery at 10am tomorrow- if you can keep her in your prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You all are/will be in our thoughts and prayers! Hugs to you guys!

    ReplyDelete